A few weeks ago we planted impatiens seedlings. Our seedlings were starting to get a bit leggy (tall) so we decided to repot them and spread them out. This will give them the opportunity to form strong root systems and nice, healthy plants.
Here they are ready for their move!
We filled recycled yogurt containers with loose soil,
then we gently scooped out two or three seedlings.
We placed them carefully into the pots and tamped down the soil.
We placed markers into each pot.
And they were ready to be placed back back under the grow lights.
Hopefully we’ll have twenty or twenty five plants ready to use in our new shade garden this summer.
More on that project soon 😉
Post by Mike G, Stephanie, Terrance and Michele
This week we spent some time preparing for spring by making seed tape.
We started with flour, seeds and a roll of good quality two ply toilet paper.
We made a simple flour paste by adding water.
Using one part flour to two parts water seems to work well.
We cut off sections of the paper then folded it lengthwise twice.
The first fold made the paper stronger and the second fold scored it so the seeds would be planted in a straight row.
Then we dabbed small patches of paste along the paper.
We looked at the directions on the seed packets and spaced our patches far enough apart for the plants to grow well.
We placed seeds on each patch of paste.
We let them dry overnight…
and placed them in ziplock bags.
We have bags of carrots, sunflowers, peas and beans all ready to be planted on the roof.
It won’t be long now!
Post by Michele and Laurie K.