post by Michele and John M
Here’s another fun activity that we did this week to help us get ready for spring.
We made seedling pots from newspaper!
We used a sheet of newspaper, a soup can and a little bit of tape.
First we folded the newspaper in half lengthwise…
then we rolled it tightly over the soup can.
We folded it in, creating the bottom of the pot and used a piece of tape to hold it together.
Then we slid the can out and we had a pot shape!
We folded in the top edge to give it stability.
And we had created a nice pot, ready for some seed starting soil and seeds. When the seedlings are ready, we’ll be able to plant them right into the ground because newspaper is highly biodegradable and a good source of carbon, and the inks are made with natural earth pigments and soy.
Now we have a box of pots ready for our seeds!
Post by Michele and Jesse, with Scott, Danny, Steven, John C, Tanya, Laurie, Mike G and Bill M.
This week we spent some time preparing for spring by making seed tape.
We started with flour, seeds and a roll of good quality two ply toilet paper.
We made a simple flour paste by adding water.
Using one part flour to two parts water seems to work well.
We cut off sections of the paper then folded it lengthwise twice.
The first fold made the paper stronger and the second fold scored it so the seeds would be planted in a straight row.
Then we dabbed small patches of paste along the paper.
We looked at the directions on the seed packets and spaced our patches far enough apart for the plants to grow well.
We placed seeds on each patch of paste.
We let them dry overnight…
and placed them in ziplock bags.
We have bags of carrots, sunflowers, peas and beans all ready to be planted on the roof.
It won’t be long now!
Post by Michele and Laurie K.